The white Gothic façade of the Holy Family Church, Vadakkankulam, with its twin octagonal towers and pinnacled roofline against a clear sky

The Building

The Architecture of Little Rome

Two naves that open like a pair of compasses and meet at a single altar. Twenty-four arches turned in lime and palm sap, holding a roof that has no iron in it. Twin towers of ninety-two feet — and a village that took its name from them.

The Idea

It is a church you can read like a creed — a building where every number in the stone is set down to stand for a truth of the faith.

When the Jesuits set out to raise the third and greatest church at Vadakkankulam, Fr Joseph Grégoire gave it a form found almost nowhere else: a single building shaped like an open pair of compasses — two naves splayed wide at the doors, drawing together as they run east, until they meet at one shared altar.

Seventeen years went into the building of it, and what rose was strange enough that a Jesuit chronicler called the plan “probably without equal in the world.” The village has been called Little Rome ever since.

17
years building
24
arches
92
feet of tower
5
doors
0
iron in the roof
1
altar
I

Before This One

Three Churches, One Ground

The great church of 1872 is the third to stand on this ground. Each of the first two was outgrown by the congregation that raised it.

  1. 1685

    A chapel of palm thatch

    Beside Santhaayi’s wayside cross, St John de Britto blesses a small thatched chapel; some two hundred people are baptised.

  2. 1752

    The church of stone

    Fr Buttari’s cross-shaped stone church, finished by Fr Tomassini in broad brick from Perungudi. Its statue would weep in 1803, and its bell would call the village to come and see.

  3. 1872

    The great church

    Bishop Canoz blesses the foundation stone in 1855. Seventeen years later he returns to sing the Mass that dedicates the building standing today.

The church in an early parish photograph
The church in an early parish photograph
II

The Meaning

The Church as a Creed

The parish reads its own building as a set of numbers. Nothing here is merely structural: every count is a doctrine. Read the plan itself as a creed — tap a line and it lights on the drawing — then read the rest in the parish's own hand, the numbers that wait up at the altar.

The floor plan of the Holy Family Church: one sanctuary, two naves converging, five doorsN12345P11P12P1P2P5P6P9P10P3P4P7P8

Redrawn from வரைபடம் 5 in A. Sivasubramanian, Kiristhavamum Sathiyum (2001) — the only measured plan of this church in print.

The plan, read as a creed

Tap a reading to light it on the plan.

TEMPLVM SIT DVPLEX, ARA SED VNA; FIDES VNA SIT, VNAQVE MENS.

Let the temple be twofold, but the altar one; may they be of one faith, and of one mind.

Cut into the foundation stone, blessed 9 August 1855

The parish’s own note — திருக்குடும்ப ஆலயம்: கட்டிடத்தின் தத்துவம், “the philosophy of the building”

The parish’s own note — திருக்குடும்ப ஆலயம்: கட்டிடத்தின் தத்துவம், “the philosophy of the building”

And what waits at the altar

14

the steps up to the cross

the fourteen Stations

5

the arches in the upper row of the altarpiece

the five wounds, told again

9

the flower-cluster carvings

the nine choirs of angels

4

the arches in the lower row

Matthew, Mark, Luke and John

3

at the centre of it all

Father, Son and Holy Spirit

The sheet is unsigned and undated. It records how the parish reads its church — not what the builders of 1855 are documented to have intended.

III
The vault above the sanctuary — arches turned without iron, beam or centring
The vault above the sanctuary — arches turned without iron, beam or centring

The Structure

Not a Nail of Iron

Twenty-four arches span the interior, twelve of them joined in a single crown over the altar. Not one is carried by cement, by iron, or by a wooden beam: they were turned in lime mortar and have stood self-supporting for a century and a half. The engineering was the work of Brother Joseph Bergenthal — a Jesuit lay brother whom almost no account of this church troubles to name.

No cement
lime mortar throughout
No iron
not a rod in the vaults
No timber
no beam, no pillar, no centring

What the mortar was made of

பதனீர்

padaneer

Palm sap

drawn from the palmyra, before it ferments

சுண்ணாம்பு

chunnambu

Lime

burnt shell and limestone — the binder

கடுக்காய்

kadukkai

Myrobalan

Terminalia chebula — the tannin that hardens it

முட்டை

muttai

Egg

beaten in, for a mortar that sets like stone

The recipe as the parish itself gives it. The English parish history says toddy — fermented sap — where the Tamil sources say padaneer; on lime, kadukkai and egg, every source agrees.

IV

The Skyline

Why They Call It Little Rome

Two white towers stand ninety-two feet above the façade, octagonal from the ground to the spire, with sixteen smaller pinnacles ringing the roofline. In each tower hangs one of the twin bells cast in France in 1861 and carried here by sea. It is chiefly for these towers that, in 1926, the first Bishop of Tuticorin gave the village the name it still answers to — Chinna Romapuri, Little Rome.

92 ft
twin octagonal towers
16
pinnacle turrets
1861
French bells, one to a tower
The twin towers and the pinnacled roofline
The twin towers and the pinnacled roofline
V

The Bells

The Twin Bells from France

High in each of the two towers hangs a bronze bell, cast in France in 1861 and carried to Vadakkankulam by sea. They have called the parish to prayer for more than a century and a half.

The bell in its tower, cast “Vve Grégoire de Valence (Drôme) — Donateur Casimir Grégoire”
The bell in its tower, cast “Vve Grégoire de Valence (Drôme) — Donateur Casimir Grégoire”
  1. 1861

    Cast in France

    The bells are given to the church by Casimir Grégoire, a French benefactor — by every account a kinsman of the parish priest, Fr Joseph Grégoire — and the bell in the tower still carries his name in its bronze: “Donateur Casimir Grégoire”.

  2. By sea

    The long carriage

    Packed in wooden crates, the bells come by ship, land at the port of Madras, and pass through the Collector's office at Tirunelveli on their way south to the church.

  3. 1872

    Raised into the towers

    They are hung the year the church is consecrated — one bell to each of the twin towers — and are rung still, at prayers and at every festival.

These were not the first bells to sound here.

An older bell hung in the stone church of 1752 — the bell that was rung one October morning in 1803 to call the whole village to come and see the Mother whose statue had begun to weep.

The bells' story is the parish's own record. Published accounts have named the Burdin foundry of Lyon; the bell itself is cast “Vve Grégoire de Valence (Drôme)” — and where the record and the bronze differ, the bronze has the last word.

VI

Light & Colour

Glass, Dye and Gold

Twenty-three traceries carry coloured glass — plain at first, replaced with jewelled panes at the centenary of 1972. Sixteen windows along the side walls were kept sealed shut through the whole Jesuit administration, “for reasons of cold,” and were opened only afterwards. Within, the vaults, arches and pillars are painted in flowers and scenery made not from paint or chemical but from the dyes of plants and trees — unfaded, and never once repainted.

A rose window of jewelled glass set in painted vaulting
A rose window of jewelled glass set in painted vaulting
Lancet traceries, coloured at the 1972 centenary
Lancet traceries, coloured at the 1972 centenary
Diamond panes and trefoil rosettes
Diamond panes and trefoil rosettes
Light falling through the nave toward the eastern doors
Light falling through the nave toward the eastern doors
VII

What It Carries

The Two Images the Building Holds

Two images say what the church is for: one over the door you come in by, one above the altar you come to.

The Two Trinities relief over the central door

Over the door

Above the head-door, inside the porch, is a polychrome relief of the Holy Family beneath a dove in a golden gloria and, at the apex, an eye set in a triangle. It is the old Counter-Reformation figure of the Two Trinities — the heavenly and the earthly — crossing at the Child. The figures are original; the gilding and the blue sky behind them are not. That ground was repainted between 2016 and 2022.

The Two Trinities relief over the central door

The high altar, gilded and unfaded

Above the altar

Six statues stand at the high altar beneath its dome, its glass tower and its minaret: the crucified Christ at the centre, Our Lady and St Joseph beside him, and above them St Sebastian, St Antony and St Francis Xavier. The floor is mosaic. The woodwork carries gold leaf — பொன் முலாம் — which the parish has never let fade.

The high altar, gilded and unfaded

மரியே வாழ்க

“Hail Mary” — raised in Tamil letters across the gable of the porch. The first words the building says to anyone walking up to it.

Colophon

Builders, Bells & Sources

Directing pastor
Fr Joseph Grégoire, S.J.
Architect & engineer
Br Joseph Bergenthal, S.J.
Consecrated by
Bishop Alexis Canoz, S.J., 1872
Bells
Fonderie Vve Grégoire, Valence (Drôme), 1861
Bells given by
Casimir Grégoire

Architectural detail from the parish history of the Holy Family Church; A. Sivasubramanian, Kiristhavamum Sathiyum (2001); Auguste Jean, Le Maduré (1894); H. R. Pate, Madras District Gazetteer: Tinnevelly (1917); and a handwritten note kept at the parish.

Visit Us

You Are Always Welcome

Step inside whenever you wish. Our doors, like our hearts, remain open.