1861

Two bells cast in France

The parish's twin bells were cast in France in 1861, the gift of a benefactor named Casimir Grégoire — the bell in the tower still bears his name in its bronze. Packed in crates, they came by sea to Madras and up through Tirunelveli, and were finally hung in 1872, one in each of the church's two new towers, their joined ringing giving, the people still say, a sweetness of sound heard nowhere else in this land.

Parish traditionThis moment rests on 4 sources.
Parish history (English)
two bronze bells, one hung in each of the two ninety-two-foot towers

The English history of the Holy Family ChurchParish copy; title, author and year still being confirmed

The parish's own record, printed here by the parish.

What this source establishes

Two towers, a bell in each. The page used to say "the new tower", singular.